Community Work Orders

The Northern Territory Government is committed to ensuring young people who do the wrong thing face the consequences of their actions.

The Community Work Order Program aims to tackle youth crime by supporting young people who have offended to get back on track and become productive members of the community.

Community Work Orders ensure young people engaged in offending behaviours make amends by performing work that benefits the community, and in some cases, directly repair the harm and damage caused by their offending.

Young people are sentenced to Community Work Orders by the Court. Territory Families, Housing and Communities (TFHC) supports young people to comply with their Order.

The young person is responsible for their participation in an approved community work project and rehabilitation.

What types of projects can a young person on Community Work Orders complete?

Projects are varied but all must meet the eligibility and assessment criteria set out by TFHC. Options include cleaning graffiti, grounds maintenance, rubbish removal, conservation, community service support and land management.

TFHC is working to expand the suite of programs for young people by developing new partnerships with community organisations to deliver worthwhile projects.

TFHC strives to develop partnerships that will enable young people to achieve positive results for the community while developing pro-social behaviours, learning new skills, and setting a positive life path.

Who can be sentenced to Community Work Orders?

Young people aged between 10 and 17 can be sentenced to Community Work Orders.

Each young person is assessed by TFHC’s Youth Outreach and Re-Engagement Teams for suitability prior to the Court making their decision. Only young people assessed as being suitable for the program will be eligible.

How will young people be supervised when completing Community Work Orders?

Community safety is paramount. Community work project supervisors are required to monitor and supervise the young person at all times whilst a young person is completing their work. In some instances a TFHC staff member may also attend in addition to the project supervisor.

What additional support services will young people on Community Work Orders have access to?

Young people who are sentenced to a Community Work Order are under the supervision of a Community Youth Justice Officer, who provides case management support to the young person so they have the best chance of complying with the conditions of their order.

What types of organisations can apply to become a community work project provider?

Approved projects must meet the following criteria:

  • The work will benefit the community, is restorative in nature and/or provides a meaningful pro-social pathway for the young person.
  • The work performed by the young person will not directly or indirectly provide any personal or financial benefit to TFHC or its staff.
  • The work will not be demeaning or degrading.
  • The project supervisor must be present during the entire time the young person is attending. The supervisor must monitor the work performance of the young person and complete documentation such as attendance sheets and incident reports.
  • The supervisor must maintain a safe working environment under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act.
  • The organisation must have public liability insurance and provide TFHC evidence of this.
  • Direct supervisors of young people must have a Working with Children Clearance (Ochre Card) and provide evidence to TFHC of this.
  • If your business has been affected by youth crime, you can apply to become a community work project provider if your project meets the requirements.

How does a organisation apply to become a community work project provider?

If you are interested in finding out more information, or obtaining a community work project application form, contact the TFHC Youth Outreach and Re-Engagement Offices on:

Darwin(08) 8946
Palmerston(08) 8944
Katherine(08) 8973
Nhulunbuy(08) 8987
Tennant Creek(08) 8962
Alice Springs(08) 8951